DAY: 16th October 2013
Theme for this year: “ Straighten Up and Move”
Why celebrate: create awareness about spinal health
Nutrition in Spine Health:
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet.
- Count your proteins
- Vitamin D deficiency corrections.
- Minerals like calcium, phosphorus,magnesium and boron needs to be emphasised in diet.
Add: Omega 3 fatty acids ( fish and nuts)
- Fresh fruits and vegetables ( fiber and alkaline producing fruit and vegetables favour bone health)
- Good source of protein from pulses, legumes and lean meat
- Vitamin D from sunlight exposure or supplementation
- Simple sugars and heavy starches in the diet often lead to weight gain and excess insulin.
- Rancid and hydrogenated fats.
- High salt intake: well-recognized risk factor for urinary calcium excretion.
- Refined foods.
- Chemical additives and residues.
- Caffeinated drinks like coffee and colas will result loss of calcium through the urine.
- Cola drinks contain high levels of phosphorus therefore disrupt calcium metabolism and healthy bones.
- Alcohol and many drugs used for heart disease and high blood pressure also cause magnesium loss.
Get a help of good Nutritionist to correct your diet. Have a healthy back and spread awareness on World Spine Day.
– Team My Nutritional Needs.
Image curtsy worldspineday.org