My Nutritional Needs wishes everybody a very healthy life ahead and a very happy Makar Sankrant.
Significance of food in Makarsankrant
Simple food like “Khichdi” is prepared on Makara Sankranti day. Dishes made out of Sesame (Til) are made and exchanged. Sweets made out of Til is exchanged as mark of friendship. The symbolic meaning is to emulate the quality of Tilgul – to stick together even in the face of adversity.
Sesame Seeds and its Nutritional Significance
According to Ayurveda since this festival falls during winter season having sesame seeds provides the body the much needed heat and keep it warm. Sesame seeds have a greater ability to absorb and emit “Sattva” frequencies because of which having food containing sesame is considered to be spiritual. Similarly distributing and exchanging Tilgul results in an exchange of the “Sattva” component.
Nutritive value of Sesame Seeds
1/4th cup ( 36 gm)
Calories : 206.28
Glycemic Index : Very low
Health Benefits Of Sesame Seeds
- Energy food: are high energy food and especially useful to combat the cold weather.
- Good Fats: The omega 3 fatty acids lower LDL and increase HDL cholesterol. It thus helps in preventing atherosclerosis and stroke.
- Proteins: The good levels of protein helps in proper growth of children.
- Antioxidants: The many phenolic antioxidants especially sesamol and sesaminol check the damaging activity of the free radicals.
- Prevention of Neural Tube Defects: High folic acid levels prevent neural tube defects in the growing foetus in pregnant women.
- Niacin Levels: High levels of niacin reduce anxiety and reduce LDL cholesterol.
- Rich source of Calcium Zinc: The calcium and zinc levels enable in increasing bone strength and density thus prevent osteoporosis, colon cancer, migraine headaches, reduce pre-menopausal symptoms.
- Asthama and Hypertension: Magnesium is useful in controlling asthma, lowering high blood pressure, prevents blood vessel spasms in migraine and helps in getting better sleep especially in women who are in menopause.
- Anti-inflammatory: The high copper levels reduce pain and swelling of rheumatoid arthritis due to its anti inflammatory action. It also keeps the muscles and ligaments elastic thus benefitting the blood vessels and joints.
Some Uses Of Sesame in Specific Health Conditions
- For Rough skin
Massage sesame oil to make skin softer and smoother.
- For Constipation and hard stools.
~ Rich source of fiber 15gm /day will help add additional fiber in diet.
~ A gruel (khichdi) made of.til/sesame, rice and split green gram (moong dal) cures constipation.
- For Calcium
50 grams of sesame provides the daily requirement of calcium.
- As A Strength Provider
Sesame has protein. Brain needs lecithin for its development and sesame has lots of it. Sesame strengthens the muscles, sinews and nerves. It also has a lot of B complex vitamins.
- For Hair
As it is rich source of zinc, it will help for hair nutrition.
How to Enjoy
- Add in homemade chapattis or any snacks.
- Chikki form
- Chutney 1 tbsp/ay
- Bajra bhakri with til.
Research suggests that individuals with food allergy may experience allergic response to sesame seeds.
Health benefits of til (sesame seeds) and gur (jaggery)
We have understood the benefit of til. Now the jagerry
Gur or jaggery is a good source of iron. It contains 10 times more iron as compared to spinach. It is considered to be healthier than refined sugar as it contains several vitamins and minerals like iron, phosphorous, magnesium and potassium. It is also a natural cure for cough, migraine, cold, asthma, fatigue and indigestion.
Wishing all individuals a very happy makar sankrant and a healthy eating always.