Indian Dietetic Association in collaboration with Nucgnex conducted a on 2nd March in Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital. It was attended by the Dietitians of IDA Pune chapter, Practising Clinical Nutritionists and Students of SNDT College, Pune.
Dr Satish Pattenshetti, Consultant Laparoscopic and Bariatric surgeon of DOSS, talked about Minimal Invasive Surgery from Laparoscopy to Robotic Surgery.
The Medical Nutrition Therapy for Minimal Invasive Surgery and Bariatric Surgery, such As Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass etc. was covered by Ms. Ambika Nair.
Furthermore Ambika Nair enlightened the audience with the simplified calculation of Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN), in Surgical Patients.
Take home message of the event was:
1. The success of Bariatric Surgery lies in Effective nutritional therapy Pre, Peri and Post-operative care.
2. Effective counselling and Structured Four stage Diet plans for about 6 months to 1 year helps in Sustained weight reduction post-surgery.
3. Eat Protein First – The key principle behind Bariatric Surgery Diet.
4. Teach the Patients portion counting – As post-surgery – A mouthful is bigger than the stomach size.
5. Patient Education, Behavioural therapy, Regular Exercise, Support group therapy -Adjunct To Effective Diet Plans.
The event was followed by the Annual General Meeting of IDA Pune chapter.